Tuesday, August 28, 2007

first day of classes!




I call all heaven to witness today
That I have put on Christ.

I choose no other Lord
Than the Maker of heaven and earth.
This day I walk with Him
And He with me.

I fasten close to me this day
That same Jesus
Who came to us as flesh and blood
And was Himself baptized in the Jordan River.

He died upon a cross to rescue me,
Broke free from death, its conqueror.
He left us, to return the more certainly.
All these truths and their power
I fasten close to me this day.

Resisting my own selfishness and sin,
Refusing to live as a slave to riches,
Pleasure or reputation,
Rejecting Satan and all his lies,
I call on heaven to witness today
That I have put on Christ.

-Celtic Daily Prayer, pp. 210-211

The prayer above was one I receited this morning (along with all the new seminary students) at our chapel service. I found it so moving and appropriate; an excellent way to begin this new season of my life. I'm so thankful for God's leading and bringing me here and providing for my every need. He is such a faithful and good God! Thank you, also, for your support, encouragement, and prayers. I'm so thankful for my family and friends. :)

Yesterday marked the beginning of the Fall '07 semester and today I attended my first class at Denver Seminary. The class is called "Understanding the Gospel & Acts" and is taught by distinguished professor Dr. Craig Blomberg. I ended up sitting next to a neat girl that I met at new student orientation on Friday. She's about my age and from Texas and we really hit it off. So that lessened the first-day-jitters.

After class I met briefly with my advisor, a lady I admire and respect a lot. I remember talking with her back in January when I came for a visit. She used to fly in the Air Force and also was a Chaplain for many years, so she has tons of neat stories.

Now I must go read chapters 1 and 2 of my Greek textbook. (Class is at 8am tomorrow morning!) But I want to close this post with a prayer. It's the prayer that the continuing students prayed over us, the new students. I love it so much that I just have to share it. It's a prayer that I pray over you, the reader. Blessings to you!

May the Father of Life pour out His grace on you;
May you feel His hand in everything you do
and be strengthened by the things He brings you through:
This is our prayer for you.

May the Son of God be Lord in all your ways;
May He shepherd you the length of all your days,
And in your heart may He receive the praise:
This is our prayer for you.

And despite how simple it may sound,
I pray that His grace will abound
And motivate everything you do;
And may the fullness of His love be shared through you.

May His Spirit comfort you, and make you strong,
May He discipline you gently when you're wrong,
And in your heart may He give you a song;
This is our prayer for you.

May Jesus be Lord in all your ways,
May He shepherd you the length of all your days,
And in your heart may he receive the praise,
This is our prayer for you.

Amen.

-Celtic Daily Prayer, pp. 292-293

2 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

It sounds amazing and wonderful and makes me want to move out there and join you! (But only if I can bring Jamie, of course!)

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Meg said...

So glad it went well Rebecca. Love, Meg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home