Thursday, August 09, 2007

five-dollar DC-10 dare

Background:

My good friend, Jon, and I have a friendship based on 5-dollar bets. It all started back in November when he dared me to raise my hand in church history class and ask my professor about religious snake handling (which I did, as awkward and embarrassing as that was). We've gone back and forth a few times with it, although the last couple I've refused to do because they're too ridiculous (either that or I'm too chicken).

Which brings us to the story:

This past weekend I traveled to and from Phoenix to visit my fam. When I talked with Jon on the phone before boarding my flight back to Denver, he told me all about the dangers of DC-10 planes. Then he dared me to a) ask a flight attendant if our plane was a DC-10, b) then tell him/her about the dangers of DC-10's, c) get the person next to me to sign a paper saying that I sucessfully asked the above-mentioned attendant the question, and d) post the story on Facebook. All this for a meager $5...but, as the adage says, it's the principle of the thing that counts (plus as a grad student, I can use all the additional income I can get).

I decided to risk embarrassment, rise to the challenge, and complete the dare...I just had to figure out how and when. Now, you need to realize my context: 1) this was a late-night flight, so most people were really quiet and/or sleeping, 2) I was snug in the window seat with a not-so-talkative woman beside me and a very large sleeping man in the aisle-seat. I imagined how I'd ask the question as the attendant served the drinks, but when that time came it just didn't feel right. She was in such a hurry and she didn't seem approachable at all. Plus, in order to be heard, I would've had to practically shout across the two people in the seats next to me.

It was about this point in the flight that I realized a U.S. Airways pilot (in uniform) was sitting in front of me. "Aha! I'll ask him," I thought, "Surely in dare-world a pilot is equivalent to a flight attendant, if not more impressive."

So as the plane taxied to the arrival gate, I leaned forward, tapped the pilot on the shoulder and said, "Excuse me, may I ask you a question?" He turned and said, "yes." (at this point a few people turned and looked at me because my voice was one of the only ones in the plane.)

"Is this place a DC-10?" He replied with a very quick, "NO." (and his facial expression changed from a smile to “are you serious?!”) I'm sure I turned a bit red as I said, "Oh okay…I didn’t think so... What’s a DC-10 like?"

"Much bigger…This is a 737. I think Fed Ex uses DC-10’s, but most commercial planes are 737’s…They stopped flying DC-10’s back in the 80’s…"

Remembering part b of the dare, I kept talking, "I heard a rumor that DC-10’s are somewhat unreliable…their engines fail and wings rip off and stuff…is that true?"

"Yeah…back in the 80’s a plane’s engine fell right off. That’s never good."

Then there was nervous laughter from both of us and the conversation pretty much ended.


Now, to clarify...I couldn't complete part c of the dare because 1) the woman sitting next to me did not seem interested in talking with me at all, 2) I didn't have a piece of paper to record her written testimony of the event.

this is a DC-10.

this is a 737.

3 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger stefani said...

that's a funny story! and very brave of you as well! :-)

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger rjr said...

thanks, stef! i definitely had to muster up my courage, that's for sure. :)

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Crazy girl! Did you enjoy the weekend? When do classes start? Love, Meg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home