Thursday, January 04, 2007

Amber's funny story from Kenya


my friend, Amber, is a missionary teacher at a school called Akiba in Nairobi, Kenya. In a recent email update, she told this story. I think it's so funny I just had to post it. :)

I wanted to give you a quick update on the things that have been going on in my life here in Africa. Akiba ended its school year at the beginning of December...I got to attend my first end-of-the-school-year assembly in Africa. Each class got up in front of the school and did a skit or song. It was tons of fun. The kids were adorable, and many of them are very talented.

The next day the teachers had a teacher party at the school. In the states our teacher parties usually mean going out to a restaurant (or having one cater at the school), but this teacher party was about teamwork. When we arrived we were each put on a team to help. I got put with the women peeling and cutting potatoes (they quickly moved me to cleaning rice after they saw that I couldn't peel quickly using a knife).

The thing that was most shocking was the presence of a sheep when we first arrived. Apparently Abraham the sheep was to be our lunch. I was not too thrilled about the fact that I was watching my lunch eat grass in the courtyard. The male teachers slaughtered the sheep right there in the school's courtyard; I hid so I wouldn't have to watch it. However, one of the guys who works at the school decided to bring over just about every part of the animal for me to see- beginning with the heard as soon as it was cut off. Apparently the fact that I was grossed out by the entire event was humorous to all of the other teachers.

After Abe's death he was roasted over hot coals- Nyama Choma (grilled meat in Kiswahili). At lunch time the table was full of tons of African dishes (and some American cookies made by yours truly) and then the meat was brought it. I watched as the other teachers grabbed a piece as it was being passed around- I politely passed (to the sound of their laughs) and decided to become a veggie for the day.

Farewell Abe, I hear that you made a fantastic meal.


For other great stories, check out her blog at http://runningwithelephants.blogspot.com/

and the "Kenya Connection" website: www.kenyaconnection.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home