Sunday, December 17, 2006

Poll: how much is too much?

This Christmas Season I've noticed several houses that have gone above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to decorations. Garnished lawns jam-packed with characters and blinking lights have caused me sensory-stimulation-overloads and driving distractions. And it's made me stop and contemplate the reasons behind the dramatic ornamentation. Perhaps it's a "keeping up with the Joneses" complex, a tangible reflection of the American tendency to think "the bigger the better," or maybe it has to do with parents feeling pressure from their kids. But whatever the case, outdoor decorating for the holidays has become quite the endeavor and expense.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Christmas decorations; I think they add so much to the season and festivities. But when do they cross the line from tasteful to tacky? Or is there no longer a line? How much is too much?





And another thing: what's with all the inflatable Christmas decorations* that are in yards these days? How do you all feel about those things? I'd love to hear your input, especially if you're a regular blog-reader who's just never left a comment (*cough* randy). You can use the following options to indicate your opinion, or just create your own:

a. They're terrible and tacky. If there was one in my neighborhood I would pop it with an ice pick.

b. I live next door to an inflatable-character owner, and I don't mind. But that doesn't mean I want one in my yard.

c. I love 'em! What did we ever do without them? Christmas is so much more Christmas-y with those guys around! I wish I could afford to buy one for my yard.

d. Hey! How'd you get a photo of my house?






*Inflatable Christmas decorations are "highly visible, festive, novelty items that add excitement and fun to your front yard. They are basically giant nylon or vinyl balloons. They can crown any piece of your property, from the peak of your roof to your snowy driveway. They are made of heavy-duty material to withstand all kinds of weather, including sleet and frost.You can purchase them deflated in a carrying case, and then inflate them for seasonal use. Inflatables are a perfect choice for Christmas, since they can be snugly tucked away in a closet or garage until next December...
An electrical pump accompanies new inflatable Christmas decorations. You have probably seen many varieties of inflatable Christmas decorations as you did your holiday shopping or brought peanut brittle to your neighbors. There is Santa Claus waving, sitting atop a sleigh, popping out of an inflatable chimney, or holding Mrs. Claus's hand. A vignette could be created with a Nutcracker, Christmas tree, and a gift-laden train. Or you could position a snowman to watch the elves as they tie Rudolph and the other reindeer to the sleigh.Since they are designed to attract attention outdoors, these novelty items are usually quite large. A candy cane could reach up to 10 ft (3 m).
A penguin and polar bear would dwarf the real creatures. Even inflatable Christmas decorations in the shape of your favorite cartoon character could tower above the trees. Best of all, they can be outfitted with small light bulbs, so they are just as merry at night as they are during the day." (taken from an online ad for Inflatable Christmas decorations)

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your insight. I just want to understand the world around me better, and your comments help.

Merry Christmas, from my scantily-decorated house. :)

7 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm somewhere between A and B. I am a bit offended at the trivialization of Christmas. The decorations are just a garish overcompensation for a lack of something real to celebrate. Well, maybe.

I like some wreaths, candles and architectural lighting mostly. Since when did decorations become the focus and not the decoration? Shouldn't the house be the focus?

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Christmas decorations are out of control! I am of the "turn and
look the other way" crowd when it comes to those.

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sort of agree with Jon. (What a surprise, we were raised together.) Mostly I hate the inflatable things but I wouldn't pop them because I'm too law-abiding to have the courage to do it.

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming to France, I thought I could avoid the "airport syndrome"... houses in danger of confusing airplane pilots because of all of their lights. Alas, it is here too.. and not just houses, but apartment balconies as well. I've definitely seen inflatables here and lights EVERYWHERE! In addition, there are these Santa dolls that appear to be climbing a rope because apparently Santa can't come down a chimney in an apartment. They're hanging from the balconies. It's really funny in Muslim neighborhoods. LBH

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most rediculous inflatable Christmas decoration that I have seen in several lawns contains a merry go round that actually spins contained within a giant ball and blows snow from within. I suppose it is trying to look like a snow globe. On one hand it makes me kind of angry but on the other hand I just have to laugh at how dumb they look. But if you really want to spend the money on that kind of stuff more power to ya!

Word to your mutha!

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

d. Hey! How'd you get a photo of my house?

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading your blog on the Christmas lights, I talked Bart into driving by this house in the neighborhood we used to live in. They always go all out for Christmas (and really all most every holiday). Well, this year they've set their lights in sync with a radio station. They have a sign out front to tune your radio and it's so amazing. They chose 4 songs and between each song their kids say welcome and that they are raising money for the Children's Hospital. Money is collected in this
blinking lock box right at the front of the yard. My favorite song they did was Mariah Carey's "All I
Want for Christmas is You."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home