Monday, October 02, 2006

Visit with Laura in Wooster, OHIO: 9/30-10/1

Laura in the Pumpkins (yay for fall!)

This past weekend I made an eight-hour road trip to visit one of my best friends, Laura Gibson, in her home town of Wooster, Ohio. (It's pronounced "Wuh-ster," not "Woo-ster.") It's about 1.5 hours from Cleveland and an hour from Columbus, smack-dab in the middle of Amish-Country and dozens of cornfields. It's a beautiful and quaint town, and I really enjoyed my visit with her and her parents!

Here's Laura in front of her family's home. It's about 80-100 years old, and she's lived there since she was born. I can't even imagine what it's like to grow up in the same place and in the same house...how cool!

On Saturday we ventured into downtown Wooster to participate in the town's annual fall event: WOOSTERFEST. There was music (lots of country, of course), food (kettle corn!), and several shopping tents/booths. We had so much fun walking around, checking out the handmade jewelry, pottery, candles, etc.

We did see a couple odd sights. Take a look at this photo, for example.
This woman makes these "plant holders" using children's clothing and shoes. I don't know about you, but I find this somewhat disturbing. Laura and I felt like we were looking at kids cut in half, and it just weirded us out. Would you buy one of these? Feel free to post a comment and let me know what you think.

I also saw the longest mullet I've ever seen. Laura had warned me about the mullets and rat-tails that abound in Wooster, but I wasn't really prepared for something like this.
This guy has a serious party in the back...Looks like he's been partying for about ten years. Even though I tried to be sneaky, I think his son knew I was taking a picture of him. Whoops.

Laura and I asked to get our photo taken with a pony.
I'm trying to lift the pony's head out of her feedbag, but she wouldn't budge.

Laura, Rebecca, and Amy the pony.

Wooster is surrounded by cornfields, so we had to get some shots with the stalks.


Here I am "eating" the corn (I'm so weird).

We were feeling inspired by Daniel's beach photo (see 9-19 post), so Laura and I tried to duplicate the "shameless model pose." You might find us on the 2007 Wooster calendar. :) (Dan, what do you think?)



I don't think I'm meant to model. :)

What a great trip! (Thanks again, Laura!)

By the way, on my drive out of Wooster, I passed six Amish "buggies," two Mennonites on bicycles, and an Amish family walking with their kids holding onto a rope. Yay for the rural Midwest! :)

View more photos from the trip in the "fall 06" album here.

10 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'd love a calendar of shameless model poses! You and Laura could be September and October and your brother could be July or so... And also I hope you got me one of those oh so attractive plant things for christmas. I'm marking days off my dull non-shameless model pose calendar.

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the house! Whuts a mullet?:-0(Long hair in the back?)

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger rjr said...

Yes, a mullet is a haircut that is short on top, and long at the back. The saying that goes with it is "business in front, party in the back." :)

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Becca. Had e known you were in Ohio, we could have made plans to meet you. Next time let us know. Christina

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all the new posts. I would definitely not buy one of those plant thingies (although maybe its the perfect thing for our little nook above the kitchen sink!)
are you coming to Shrine Mont?
:) Catherine

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your poses are most excellent,
unfortunately you have much to learn before you can compete with the likes of me.

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel, our poses had to be more artistic cuz we don't have chiseled abs to draw attention to and therefore ours
actually take more talent:)

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you went to Wooster. That is where my sister lives. I looked through your pictures to see if she's in the background of any of them since I'm sure she went to that fair. Ask your friend if she knows the Keatings.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Stacie said...

Love the modeling poses! You should teach on class on modeling on Tuesdays and Thursdays!!!

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

What is Laura doing now? She was one of the first people Amy and I had over for lunch shortly after we moved back to the VA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home